Applications open on 1 July and close on 13 September 2019.
Rhodes Scholarships provide opportunities for outstanding all-round students to study for a postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford.
Scholars are selected on the basis of their exceptional intellect, character, leadership and commitment to service.
Each year nine Australian Rhodes Scholars are chosen: one for each state, and another three from anywhere in the country (these are known as 'Australia-at-Large Scholarships'). These Scholars join a community of nearly 8,000 Rhodes Scholars worldwide and are part of a tradition in Australia that started in 1903.
You should apply in the state where you completed or will complete your most recent degree. If you are studying overseas, apply in the state or territory where you attended secondary school.
For full eligibility and application requirements, read the information for Australian applicants.
You must submit an application addressing the selection criteria, and include your academic records, CV (curriculum vitae) and proposed course of study at Oxford. You also need to supply details of six referees.
If you have any questions about the Scholarship or the application process, email the Rhodes Scholarships Queensland representatives.
Information sessions about the Rhodes Scholarship will be held at a number of Queensland universities and delivered by video-conference and live steaming.
- be an Australian citizen and have lived in Australia for at least two of the last 10 years
- be at least 19 years of age but younger than 26 at 1 October in the year you would start at Oxford
- have completed at least two years of secondary schooling in Australia
- have completed an honours or masters degree (or international equivalent) by 15 June 2018, achieving first-class honours (or an equivalent mark of distinction for the masters degree).
- Selection criteria
- Apart from first-class honours, there is no particular list of academic qualifications or personal or professional achievements that you need to be a Rhodes Scholar.
The selection panel are looking for applicants who can demonstrate:
- literary and scholastic achievements
- energy to develop their talents to the full
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead.
A Rhodes Scholarship supports you in full-time study at the University of Oxford. You can choose from a wide variety of courses.
The Scholarship is usually awarded for two years, but may be extended to three for some degrees. It funds:
- all university and college fees
- the university application fee
- a personal stipend for living expenses
- private health insurance
- one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the scholarship, and one economy fare for the flight back to your home country at the end of the scholarship.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in the life of the Rhodes community in Oxford and attend:
- events that develop your leadership, problem-solving and public speaking skills
- presentations from leading international speakers in politics, academia and commerce
- weekly discussions and debates on global challenges
- internships with a wide range of organisations.