Applications will open in early 2022
To assist students continuing in a Bachelor of Environmental Science or a Bachelor of Science with an environmental focus
Zonta International is a worldwide service organisation of female executives in business and the professions. Zonta works to improve the legal,
political, economic, health, educational and professional status of women. Founded in 1919 in Buffalo, New York, USA; there are now more
27,000 Zontians in over 1,200 clubs in 63 countries and geographical areas. The name Zonta is based upon a Sioux Indian word meaning
“honest and trustworthy”. The emblem is a composite of Sioux Indian symbols.
The Zonta Club of Noosa was chartered in 1993, and since then has raised and distributed more than $650,000 to improve the status of women,
locally, nationally and internationally, including projects in conjunction with UNICEF and UNIFEM.
One of Zonta International’s initiatives specifically focuses upon working toward a sustainable environment. In keeping with this initiative, the Zonta Club of Noosa’s ‘Women in Science’ Bursary is awarded annually to a female student, studying Science at the University of the Sunshine Coast.
The ‘Women in Science’ Bursary is valued at $1,000 and aims to assist women who may find it difficult to continue their studies, and thus fulfil their potential, without some additional financial assistance. At the discretion of the Zonta Club of Noosa, a runner up prize of $500 may be awarded.
This bursary is awarded to successful applicants at the Zonta Club of Noosa Dinner meeting each year.
Please Note: This bursary is offered on a yearly basis through funds provided by an external donor. If funding is not available in any given year, the bursary will not be awarded.
- female students enrolled full time at USC, in the Bachelor of Environmental Science or a Bachelor of Science with an environmental focus either as a single or part of a double degree
- in second year or above, including Honours, through to the final year of a Masters program
- receiving Centrelink income support (eg Abstudy, Austudy, Youth Allowance, other Centrelink pension) or may be prevented from continuing study due to financial hardship
- passing grade point average
- students may only apply for one Zonta Club of Noosa bursary per year
- previous recipients may not apply
- Selection criteria
demonstrated commitment to the environment and community
has provided or is likely to provide a significant contribution to the local community upon completion of study
- academic merit
- Eligible programs
- Science and Engineering
- Number available