Applications accepted until all positions are filled.
The newly established Australian National Centre for Timber Durability and Design Life is seeking highly motivated students interested in pursuing PhD’s in the area of wood deterioration and its prevention.
The Centre is based in Brisbane Australia and is a joint venture between the University of the Sunshine Coast (UniSC), the University of Queensland and the Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (QDAF).
Students will be based at UniSC and will operate in laboratory facilities operated by QDAF. Highly qualified students will receive a stipend and tuition offset to support their studies. Possible research areas include, but are not limited to:
- Novel methods for assessing heartwood durability
- Fungal colonization patterns in decayed wood
- Improved methods for assessing durability
- Developing predictive durability models
- Developing improved methods for timber preservation
For more information you can contact Professor Jeff Morrell - email@example.com
- Domestic student or International HDR student at UniSC (see application details below on how to apply for admission)
- Bachelors Degree with First Class Honours or equivalent previous study, relevant work experience, research publications, or other research experience
- Maintain satisfactory progress
- Not hold an equivalent qualification to the one currently being applied for
- Not have previously held a Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the current scholarship’s payments commencing
- Not be the recipient of an equivalent award, scholarship, or salary, providing a benefit greater than 75 percent of the RTP rate to undertake a HDR. Income unrelated to the course of study is not to be taken into account.
- Selection criteria
- Academic qualifications
- Alignment of the proposed research to one of UniSC’s areas of research concentration
- Record of research publications
- Professional research experience
- Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work with researchers across Australia as well as Europe and North America to help craft the Centre. Opportunities also exist for short-term exchanges with other laboratories as needs to complete the research.
- Eligible programs
- Number available
- Annual stipend
- If the successful recipient is an International student the scholarship will include tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover (single cover)
Application open to domestic and international applicants *
This will be a two-stage application process:
Stage 1 - Expression of Interest:
Contact Person: Tripti Singh - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download and complete the UniSC Research Scholarship (USCRS) application form.
- Reference scholarship code = CAT11810-MORRELL
- Email your Expression of Interest (EOI) to the contact person and attach:
- USCRS application form
- Cover letter
- Current CV
- The scholarship panel will review the EOI. If shortlisted, you will be invited for interview.
- The preferred applicant will be invited to formally apply for HDR program and Scholarship.
Stage 2 - Formal application (only if you have been invited to apply)
- Read the important information on How to Apply for a HDR Program at UniSC.
- Submit your USCRS application form as a supporting document when submitting your HDR Program application.
* scholarship offer is subject to applicant meeting the eligibility requirements for entry into a higher degree by research program at UniSC.