The UniSC Student Athlete Code of Conduct sets out the expectation that any student representing the University at sanctioned university sporting events will behave in a manner which the University community considers appropriate, in accordance with the Student Conduct – Governing Policy and the UniSC Student Charter. This Code should also be read in conjunction with the Unisport Australia Code of Behaviour.
This Code is applicable to students of UniSC representing the University at any sanctioned university sporting events. By agreeing to participate in any UniSC Sport and Fitness event, students are acknowledging that they are representing the University of the Sunshine Coast. UniSC Sport and Fitness is proud of its image and reputation and will not tolerate the misbehaviour of individuals representing UniSC Sport and Fitness, and the University.
The Code of Conduct incorporates the following:
Students participating in UniSC Sport and Fitness events and activities shall at all times:
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner so as to not bring themselves, UniSC Sport and Fitness, the University, or University Sport into public disrepute.
- Attend any opening, closing and official ceremonies/functions associated with the university sporting event.
- Wear the team uniform as designated by the team manager(s) for formal events, including opening, closing and other official ceremonies/events.
- Follow the directions of event officials and/or security at all times.
- Comply with directions of the team manager(s) and any person appointed by him/her.
- Display appropriate behaviour. Offensive behaviour and/or damage to property may result in disciplinary action.
- Show respect for others.
- Conduct themselves in a manner so as to obtain and maintain their greatest physical health and fitness so that their duties to the UniSC team are carried out to the best of their ability.
Playing and duty
All players, coaches and officials must:
- Abide by the rules of the sport.
- Recognise that umpire/referee decisions are final and the umpire/referee’s instructions must be followed.
- Notify the team manager(s) of any injury that occurs whilst competing in the event.
- Recognise that disputes must follow the appropriate channel of procedures.
- Display good sportsmanship and play in a fair manner.
- Abide by any alcohol regulations set out by the various events, venues or sporting bodies. Members of the UniSC team will not be allowed to compete in events if suffering from the obvious effects of alcohol. Any such person will be asked to leave the sporting arena. Refusal to do so may result in the immediate expulsion from the event and further action may be taken by the Host Convenor of the event.
- Fulfil all duty requirements. Failure to do so will result in a team penalty.
- Wear the approved playing uniform during competition.
All spectators shall:
- Respect the decision of the event officials.
- Not interfere with the running of the event or participate in the event unless accredited to do so.
- Not consume alcohol while an event is in progress, except at times and in places approved by the host of the event.
All UniSC team members must:
- Maintain their rooms in a clean and tidy condition. Any cost for additional cleaning or damage will be directly imposed on the occupants of the room.
- Respect their fellow team members and other guests/residents. If your noise disturbs someone, it is your responsibility to ‘turn it down’.
Penalties for breaches of the Code of Conduct
Breaches of the UniSC Student Athlete Code of Conduct may result in one or more of the following penalties being imposed:
- Suspension or cancellation of my accreditation
- Expulsion from the event (and where applicable, this may include an instruction to return home at own expense)
- Exclusion from future competitions
- Ineligibity for UniSC Sports Awards
Decision makers will follow the principles of procedural fairness (natural justice) when managing breaches and making determinations about penalties. An breach of this Code may also be referred for investigation under the Student General Misconduct – Procedures.
I acknowledge and consent to photographs and electronic images being taken of me during my participation in the event.
Acknowledge and agree that such photographs and electronic images are owned by UniSC and that UniSC may use the photographs for promotional or other purposes without my further consent being necessary. Further, I consent to UniSC using my name, image, likeness and also my performance in the event, at any time, by any form of media, to promote the event and UniSC.