How to change your program | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

How to change your program

Important information: Changing programs may cause an increase in your fees. For more information, please visit Fees.

Can I apply for a change of program? 

You can apply for a change of program once you have completed at least one semester of study in a UniSC award program (either successfully or unsuccessfully) prior to the study period in which the change of program will become effective. The admission criteria in place for new students will also apply for all students wanting to change program. Not all programs are available to be commenced in each semester and you should check the relevant program page prior to submitting an application.

Applications for a program change effective from Semester 2, 2024 open 22 April 2024 and close on 13 July 2024.

NOTE: Please allow up to thirty working days for your application to be assessed. This time frame may be extended during peak periods and for complex applications.

Program Change applications for Semester 1, 2024 are now closed. Note: some programs may close early, without notice. Refer to Application dates.

Before you apply for a change of program, please review the information below:

  • If you have not completed a semester of study in a UniSC program (e.g. deferred commencement of your program or withdrew from your first semester of study prior to census date), you will need to apply through QTAC (domestic students only).
  • Do not use this method to add or change a major/minor within your existing program. To add or change a major/minor within your existing program, please visit Request to change required Majors and Minors.
  • Majors and/or minors that are not a program requirement cannot be registered on your Academic Record.
  • If you are receiving a scholarship, prior to submitting an application please contact Scholarships to check if changing your program will affect your ability to continue to receive your scholarship.
  • When applying for a program change, refer to the Academic Calendars to take note of key dates for last day to add a new course enrolment, swap courses or change classes, and census date.


Program specific information

Bachelor of Music: Applicants considering a change of program to Bachelor of Music will need to submit:

  • a program change application via Apply USC, AND
  • a digital music portfolio.


  • For information about the requirements for your digital portfolio submission, visit Digital portfolio submission guide for the Bachelor of Music.
  • Your program change application will not progress until we receive a complete digital portfolio supporting your application.
  • Please note that Bachelor of Music has a fixed closing date which also applies for all program change applications. Refer to Application dates for more information.

Nursing, Midwifery and Education programs:

  • If you are applying for Nursing or Midwifery programs, please note that once a preliminary assessment is done, you will be required to complete the ANMAC declaration which states how you satisfy the English Language Requirements.
  • If you are applying for Initial Teacher Education programs, including dual degrees, please note that once a preliminary assessment is done, you will be required to complete the Non Academic Competencies Statement which demonstrates possession of key competencies outlined by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) as those attributes and motivations common to effective teachers.

We will contact you upon preliminary assessment of your application whether you need to complete any of the above.

If you are a postgraduate student, you will need to re-apply for the new program using the Application for Postgraduate Coursework form.

If you are an international student wanting to apply for a new postgraduate program, you will need to submit a new application via the International Application Portal.

Changing study programs may result in changes to your study end date.

If you wish to apply for a change of program to a new undergraduate program, you should discuss your intentions with Student Central.

If you wish to apply for a change of program to a new postgraduate program, you need to submit a new application via the International Application Portal.


Important information 

Program and Campus restrictions:

  • Not all programs are available for International students.
  • Online programs are not available to Student visa holders.

Please visit Courses and Programs to view available programs prior to applying.

Visa implications:

  • Student visa holders who are considering a program change that impacts on their overall duration of study are advised to discuss their program change intentions with the Department of Home Affairsto identify potential impacts on their Student visa.
  • UniSC will issue a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to reflect the change of your program once it becomes effective. Your CoE for your previous program will be cancelled.
  • If the duration of your new program is LONGER than the duration of your previous program, you may need to apply for a new Student visa.
  • If the duration of your new program is SHORTER than the duration of your previous program, this may affect the validity of your Student visa. If you have changed courses since being granted your Student visa and your new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your principal course has a shorter end date, you must depart Australia or apply for a new visa within 28 days of completing your principal course, or your visa may be considered for cancellation.
  • The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) will be notified if your program change request is approved. This may affect the validity of your Student visa.


  • A change of program fee will apply if your application is successful. Details can be found at the ‘administrative and miscellaneous fees’ section of Fees. The fee charged will be based on the schedule of fees for the year of commencement in the new program.

The tuition fee you will be charged is the fee approved by the University for the year you commence study in your new program. Fees are based on the minimum number of courses required to complete your program and are reviewed each calendar year. The fee you must pay for each semester is the fee approved by USC for the calendar year that semester is in. Any increase in fees for your new program, from one calendar year to the next, will be no more than 10%.

To apply to change your program:

  • Log in to USC Central.
  • Select Tasks.
  • Select Fill out a new form.
  • Select Program Change.
  • Complete the required details in the form.
  • Select Submit.

You can check the status of your application in the Offers section of USC Central.

If you are a current UniSC student and are thinking about changing your program, your first step is to look at the career planning resources to help guide your decision. 

Career planning is a lifelong process: it involves a series of decisions considered over time as your life priorities and opportunities change. For university students, career planning is about choosing a career path related to your field of study and preparing you for employment.

We encourage you to make an appointment with the Careers and Employability team to chat about your options.

You may also be eligible for exemptions or credit transfer from your previous study.