English Language Programs FAQs | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

English Language Programs FAQs

How many students are in each class?

Our class size average is 14-15 students.

When may I start my program?

Our Academic English programs have set start dates throughout the year. Check the English Language Program page for more details.

Will I have an orientation?

Yes, you will have an orientation on the first day that your program starts.

UniSC Sunshine Coast ELP students should arrive at Building J, Level 1 before 11:00am. You will receive an email with the exact room the week before class starts.

Are text books provided free-of-charge?

Yes, text books are on loan to you for the duration of your program.

This means that you need to return your text book at the end of your program (in order to get a certificate of completion).

How many nationalities are there in the school?

We have a mix of students from around the world including France, India, Brazil, Japan, China, Nepal, South Korea and the Philippines * Nationalities may not be reflected in your actual class of enrolment.

Where can I live?

There are a variety of accommodation options close to UniSC Sunshine Coast to suit any budget and length of stay. Visit the Accommodation and housing page for campus specific accommodation options, including privately-owned student accommodation, homestay and rental options.

Where can I buy my lunch?

The UniSC Sunshine Coast campus has a number of cafes, food outlets and a brasserie which sell a large selection of delicious food, snacks and drinks. The cafes are conveniently located near the classrooms.

Additionally, ELP students have access to student common areas with microwaves.

Can I use the internet and how much will it cost?

Wifi is available throughout the campus. International students will be given a student network account which gives access to the internet and email facilities while at the UniSC campus.

The cost is included in the program fees.

Can I meet Australians easily?

Studying on campus is an ideal place to meet Australians who are visiting or studying at the University.

University campus life allows students to easily interact with local Australians.

Where can I study after my English program?

UniSC offers a range of degree programs to international students. Find out about USC's degree programs and courses.

USC also offers excellent foundation programs. UniSC's Tertiary Preparation Pathway (TPP) program leads students into undergraduate level programs at UniSC.

How will I know my way around the University?

You will be given a tour of the campus on your first day when you will also have the opportunity to ask the guide any questions.

How much money will I need for living expenses?

An international student at UniSC would normally require approximately A$380 to A$400 per week to live comfortably on the Sunshine Coast. This covers typical accommodation costs, food, transport and other daily life expenses. This amount is in addition to airfares, visa application, health cover and tuition fees and will vary depending on your lifestyle and preferences.

If you have a spouse or dependent child accompanying you to Australia, you will need to allow more for living expenses.

More information about living costs can be found here.

How do I submit a Complaint / Appeal?

If you have a complaint or appeal you can find the ELP Complaint and Appeal process in the ELP Student Handbook, your classroom noticeboard, the Self Access noticeboard and the glass-fronted noticeboard near the classrooms.

This ELP Complaint and Appeal form is a guide to help you understand what information you will need to include if you decide to make a formal complaint. You can get support from someone else if you choose at:  AdvocacyStudentGuild@usc.edu.au