Take your first step towards becoming a doctor
Is your dream to become a doctor? USC’s Bachelor of Medical Science is your first step. This highly competitive program provides provisional direct entry (subject to entry requirements) to Griffith University’s Doctor of Medicine program – and to your future medical career.
Applications for 2021 close on 28 December 2020
- Applicants from a non-English speaking background must attain an IELTS score of 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in all subtests) and should refer to the English language requirements.
- This program is only available to Domestic students.
- Student profile
Explore the likely peer cohort in the student profile data
- Inherent Academic Requirements
Prospective students must consider the Inherent Academic Requirements before applying to study this program.
- Program coordinator
- Professor John Lowe
- Understand how the human body works and what happens when diseases, infections and clinical disorders occur
- Study the foundations of medical science, including pathophysiology, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, immunology and pharmacology
- Gain provisional direct entry (subject to entry requirements) to Griffith University’s Doctor of Medicine program at the Sunshine Coast University Hospital
- Build hands-on clinical knowledge and skills in a small group of like-minded students
Special selection criteria
The BMedSc program is restricted to high-achieving secondary school students who have completed Year 12 no more than three (3) years before admission. Applicants must not have previously attempted any tertiary study at diploma level or higher. Current USC students are not able to apply internally for the BMedSc program. Enrolments into the program will be capped at 20 places each year.
A limited number of places in this program may be set aside for applicants from a rural background. Refer to Rural Access Scheme to check eligibility.
Students must comply with the following requirements before the start of the last semester of study:
- Hold a valid Blue Card (Working with Children Check) from QLD Government Blue Card Services. You
should allow 12 weeks for Blue Card Services to issue the card.
- Comply with QLD Health vaccination requirements.
- Complete the QLD Health student orientation requirements
This program is a pathway to a medical career in clinical practice, primary-care and rural medicine, and health service administration. Opportunities also exist for a career in public health, and research and education health medical sciences.
Professional membership / Accreditation
Graduates who gain a GPA of 5.0 or better and a pass grade in the course Communication Skills for Medicine will be offered provisional direct entry into the Griffith University Doctor of Medicine (MD) graduate-entry program to become accredited medical practitioners. In addition, graduates are eligible to apply for membership of the following scientific societies: Australian Society for Biotechnology; Australian Society for Immunology; Australian Society for Microbiology; and Australian Society for Molecular Biology and Biochemistry; Public Health Association of Australia, Australian Physiological Society.
Study at USC Moreton Bay
What will I study?
Related newsUSC Newsroom
Buzz in the air as foursome begins Medical Science18 February
USC will soon become a hive of study activity for four high-achieving Sunshine Coast school leavers – including one who’ll be juggling two homegrown honey businesses.
Medicine success has Gympie dux feeling great2 February
Victory College senior dux Abigail McAllister says it is a dream come true to be able to start her university journey towards a career as surgeon while still living at home in Gympie.
First Medical Science cohort completes degree3 December 2020
USC will hold a special celebration on Friday 4 December to honour the first students to complete the university’s Bachelor of Medical Science degree as part of their journey to becoming doctors.